Friday, June 21, 2013

Fitness Friday: First Race Tips

As you have heard, my first 5K run is coming up in just over 2 weeks.  So I asked some friends out in the blogosphere for ideas for my first race. Here are some of the tips I received from Sweat Pink Ambassadors and My Fitness Pal.








 

Michelle 

  • Don't wear new clothes/shoes and don't try anything new the day of the race! You don't want issues on race day 


Jonette from This Princess Runs 


  • Work on intervals it's a great way to start. Slow is ok. ,
  • Find clothes you are comfortable in. 
  • Don't be afraid to exercise in public/ focus on you and not what other people think. 
  • Listen to your body. 
  • Ice as needed!!!! 
  • Stretch out well to prevent injuries 


Steffi from Almost Healthy Life 

  • During: SMILE! It helps to fight through those majorly painful moments. 


sad54 (MFP) 


  • Don't try to take off too fast at the race - just because everyone else is.

grimendale (MFP)

  • You won't be in first place, but you probably won't be in last either. 
  • Find a comfortable pace and stick to it (preferably close to what you train at). 
  • You'll have an impulse to sprint early on, but that isn't sustainable and will just tire you out early. 
  • Remember that you've already done this distance, so you know you can, regardless of what those traitors you call legs tell you. 
  • Runners tend to be a friendly and helpful bunch, particularly on races, so feel free to ask for encouragement from those around you if you need it - you'll get it. 
  • Lastly, have fun and embrace the runner's high (I didn't feel it until my first 5k). 

MisterDerping (MFP)

  • Start out pretty slow and steady. 
  • After the second mile was when I would pick up the pace a little bit. 
  • Once the finish line is close just bolt it.




Cyclingbonnie (MFP)
  • When I got to that point that I just couldn't keep running all the time. I would run for a 100 right foot strikes, and walk 25 right foot strikes. The counting actually took my mind off my legs and forced me to breathe better. Yes I counted out loud. Something I learned when I was in the military. The reason you sing cadence while running in formation is not just to mark the pace it is to force the troops to breathe properly.



courtneymal17

Before race day: 
  • Pick up your packet! It's SO much easier to not have to figure out logistics of getting your packet/shirt back to your car after you pick it up on race day. Pick it up before hand if at all possible. 
  • Get a feeling for the course. 
  • Get sleep the entire week before! 
  • Same goes with water. (Drink lots the week before the race).
  • If you're worried about being last place try looking at the results from the year before. 
  • Figure out where parking is located so you're not scrambling to find it the morning of! 
  • The night before...try *try!* to get as much sleep as possible. 
  • Make sure you know where the start is! 
  • Go for at least one run in the outfit (down to underwear/bra/socks) that you're planning on wearing. Make sure it's not going to chafe or annoy you on race day! 
Before:
  • Eat something light! 
  • Get there early! 
  • Soak up the race atmosphere!! 
  • Aim for the middle-back of the pack. Try not to get stuck in the back...but try not to get too close to the front.. You'll be swept out at a pace you totally don't want to start at! 
During: 
  • My favorite quote: Run when you can, walk when you have to, just never give up! 
  • Try not to let the race atmosphere sweep you up in the beginning. You're going to have so much adrenaline, but don't let it take you out too fast so you're struggling to keep up a good pace in the middle/end. 
  • If you have to take walk breaks move over to the side , try not to stop in the middle of the road.
  • Just have fun!! Enjoy the race atmosphere! 
  • Even if you're last, enjoy it! Smile big and Cross the finish line with a huge smile because you did it!! 

After: 
  • Sign up for another!!!!
Do you have any tips to add?


34 comments:

  1. These are all excellent tips!!! Wow...I honestly can't think of one to add. But I do love the one that told you to smile through the race because I have found that helps me tremendously!!! You probably won't be able to control your smile anyway because these will be the most exciting 3 miles of your life. So excited for you!!!! Good luck sweetie and thanks for linking up again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clever and essential as an example seems like an excellent aggregate. If the listing begins with resentful but the adjectives Do My Math Homework that observe are visible in every day different mild. Envious and critical is not a day everyday favorable combination.

      Delete
  2. Great tips! I am definitely of the "SMILE!" camp. I want to look good in my race pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good tips! I will take those into consideration with my 5K in a few weeks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of great ideas and I also like the comment about smiling :) It's getting closer, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great ideas! Even if you forget to do half of them, I think taking the have fun and smile as you cross the finish are the two most important in a 5k or any race:) 5k's are a lot of fun, I am wishing you a great fun race!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips, my tips are to eat exactly what you have before training runs, wear what you've wore. SOak up the atmosphere and have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My biggest tip - HAVE FUN! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. The anticipation of your first is so exciting! Your list and the comments pretty much have the first race tips covered. I would add trust your training and enjoy the run! I can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. for a 5km race, you don't need to carb load, just eat what you normally eat.
    Before the start, take a moment and just breath, enjoy the race and don't let nerves get the best of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Summer is coming, bikini bought, so all you Alex need now is to do 8 minutes a day of AB exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you going to wear music? I have a special set with uplifting music that (if I wanted to) I could sing along with. Then I am not thinking about the distance.

    Pee, pee, pee - even if you do not think that you need to - go within 10 minutes of the start time. You will regret it if you don't.

    Dress for warm weather - you will overheat even if it is 40 outside

    I carry two saltines with me - sometimes the stress of doing it will upset your tummy

    When you are finished, walk around for a while. Then get some water - room temperature is much easier on the tummy than cold water.

    I always laugh when I see the bagel and cream cheese or donuts waiting at the end. Duh!

    I find someone who is running close to my pace and follow. Then I think it is just the two of us and I have a partner

    Watch out for the idiots who run with their baby strollers or dogs. They will always straggle over and get in your way.

    Save those Bibs!!! I use glue dots to post them on my wall.

    I tell everyone that I entered because I need the new t-shirts (LOL)

    You will receive a monitor to attach to your shoe - attach it securely or it will flap and annoy you

    One 5k = free serving of a 12 oz Pepsi (I am SURE that I read that somewhere).

    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your body building routine ought to incorporate compound activities that work on two or muscle bunches at any given time.buy crazy bulk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me. Dapoxetine

    ReplyDelete
  14. This blog has all it takes to be called the best blog.
    Tanoholic

    ReplyDelete
  15. You don't eat and only drink water. Some water diets tell you to drink water for a few days, but let you add in fruits and vegetables once you've begun to lose weight. ... If you're a healthy person, a few days of fasting probably won't hurt you, according to Upton, but it's a bad way to lose weight

    ReplyDelete
  16. Low carbohydrate levels cause blood sugar levels to drop and the body begins breaking down fat to use as energy. Ketosis is actually a mild form of ketoacidosis. Ketoacidosis mostly affects people with type 1 diabetes. ... However, many experts say ketosis itself is not necessarily harmful

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you want to learn the true skill of blog writing, give this blog a read.
    sciatica

    ReplyDelete
  18. To know whether you or your family qualify for tax subsidies, you have to estimate your total income for the upcoming year. If your total income is between 100% and 400% of the poverty threshold, you're eligible for premium assistance

    ReplyDelete
  19. Once you start reading this, you can’t stop without completing it. That’s how much you get absorbed into it.
    where to buy modafinil online

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing, this is great as you want to learn more, I invite to This is my page. liquid supplement manufacturer

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post.
    booty pop does it work

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Zeeva is the leading cancer hospital in India. At Zeeva we believe in providing authentic, supportive, and efficient care to patients. Majorly, we operate in three departments such as Oncology, IVF, and Women care. Nowadays, there is a cosmic need for quality healthcare and we provide just that. We solve the need by providing a holistic approach rather than a drugs alone method. We have an edge in what we do because we understand the local factors as our team belongs to this demographic. best oncologist in Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  23. Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work! Health

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous post, you have denoted out some fantastic points, I likewise think this s a very wonderful website. I will visit again for more quality contents and also, recommend this site to all. Thanks. Health List

    ReplyDelete
  25. Programming assignment Help will help you in solving your assignments related to computer science and programming.Assignment Help US

    ReplyDelete
  26. This way an equal transaction happens between the seller and customer, it requires a business to make a double entry in its accounting statements. For more information you can also visit Management Assignment Help.

    ReplyDelete
  27. How to get rid of canon printer not responding issue?

    When you try to print any document from canon printer, your printer is refused to print. It means that your canon printer is facing technical faults. Without repairing your canon printer, you can work on your canon printer exactly. To get rid of this error, we are the best and successful third party technical support company, offering live technical support services for canon printer users. Our printer technicians are technically trained for solving this error simply. Our printer experts are available 24/7 for solving canon printer not responding error completely from the root.

    ReplyDelete

  28. You need to take Epson Support and join hands with skilled technicians to fix your entire errors related to your Epson printer. Undoubtedly, we can say that the Epson printers also likely to throw errors. Sometimes, these errors become so large to cause you the enough pain that you want to dispose of your printer out of the office. So, don’t allow your printer to ruin your daily work and try to resolve Epson Printer Offline issue as quickly as you can.

    Epson Printer Support

    www.epson.com/support

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi! Thanks for sharing this kind of information it's really nice and thoughtful for me. If anyone needs Online Assignment Help for students and you don't know how to get the high-quality assignment help? Now don’t worry MyAssignmentHelpAu providing best Assignment Help. You have simply contact our expert team we have available 24*7. Also visited our website

    ReplyDelete
  30. The best way to know about our writing skills and style is to look through assignment samples. Our expert writers are all about know assignment subjects If you need help with thesis writing help then you can easily buy our assignment. Just select the topic and Buy an assignment sample.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice and informative post! Need the assignment help online? We have a huge team of 1000+ top experts who are always ready to help students with their assignment and score A+ grade. Our all assignment help has some of the top minds in their field with professional experience and has helped thousands of students across the world. They can be the mentor you were always looking for and get completed within the deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi, this is a nice blog thanks for sharing the Informative blog. my assignment help provide the geometry homework answers for a assist to student queries. Our writers conduct thorough research to provide you with a flawless sample of geometry homework answers. My Assignment help brings Chemistry homework helper .Writing an elaborate Chemistry homework helper is anything but easy and most students lack the tenacity to work on the details accurately. If you get the more details Please visit the site through Link.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your support on this journey. Please be nice (to me and to other commenters).

Donors Choose Update

Since my previous post on Donors Choose , a lot has happened. Shortly after I changed schools in August, I was invited to be a Donors Choose...