Friday, February 15, 2013

Dining out within reason

Yesterday, while the world was celebrating Valentine's Day, my husband and I celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary.  I decided ahead of time that I would not be too concerned with calories, but I would do my best to make good choices.  Not only did I choose well, I stayed under calories for the whole day.  (Well, I think I borrowed 20 from my exercise calories!)


We went to an early (4:30) dinner at Applebee's.  On the way, I checked MFP for possibilities.  Applebee's offers about half a dozen "Under 550" meals (some with WW points).  I started with the healthy menu, and I found enough choices that I didn't need to look at the full menu.  I got a steak with garlic shrimp and roasted veggies.  The menu also described "brushetta".  I expected a piece of toasted bread with tomatoes and garlic.  Apparently, Applebee's defines it as just the stuff on top!

My husband wanted to try the pretzels with beer cheese dip.  I told him to go ahead an ordered it.  It came with 4 pretty good sized soft pretzel sticks. (It was about the size of an Olive Garden breadstick, but not quite as thick.)  I decided to have one.  But it was really good, so I had half of a second one!  When I looked up the calories, it was almost 300 calories for one stick with dip.

My meal was very good, and it was quite filling.  I ate slowly and enjoyed it. The veggies could have been cooked longer. (The carrots were still crunchy!)  But I ate all the veggies.

I left feeling full and satisfied, but not overstuffed.  I did not feel deprived. :)

At the movies, we didn't get popcorn, just something to drink. I wasn't going to get anything, but then I realized they had Dasani Sensations (about 5 calories a serving). I tried strawberry.  I could get used to it.

In other news.....Yesterday I finished week 3 of C25K!

And today I am going cold turkey with my Pepsi.  For the past 6 weeks, I've been having one a day most days.  But I think I need to just cut them out completely.  I've decided that, even though I don't "do" Lent---and Lent started 2 days ago---I am going to give up Pepsi until Easter. At that point I'll decide if I can incorporate some into my diet or just do without.

I've already warned my husband I will probably have a bad headache on Saturday or Sunday. But it will pass.


2 comments:

  1. Good for you! It's not always easy to dine out without blowing the calorie/points budget, but it IS possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job! That is a big challenge for me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your support on this journey. Please be nice (to me and to other commenters).

Donors Choose Update

Since my previous post on Donors Choose , a lot has happened. Shortly after I changed schools in August, I was invited to be a Donors Choose...