Friday, February 15, 2013

Dining out within reason

Yesterday, while the world was celebrating Valentine's Day, my husband and I celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary.  I decided ahead of time that I would not be too concerned with calories, but I would do my best to make good choices.  Not only did I choose well, I stayed under calories for the whole day.  (Well, I think I borrowed 20 from my exercise calories!)


We went to an early (4:30) dinner at Applebee's.  On the way, I checked MFP for possibilities.  Applebee's offers about half a dozen "Under 550" meals (some with WW points).  I started with the healthy menu, and I found enough choices that I didn't need to look at the full menu.  I got a steak with garlic shrimp and roasted veggies.  The menu also described "brushetta".  I expected a piece of toasted bread with tomatoes and garlic.  Apparently, Applebee's defines it as just the stuff on top!

My husband wanted to try the pretzels with beer cheese dip.  I told him to go ahead an ordered it.  It came with 4 pretty good sized soft pretzel sticks. (It was about the size of an Olive Garden breadstick, but not quite as thick.)  I decided to have one.  But it was really good, so I had half of a second one!  When I looked up the calories, it was almost 300 calories for one stick with dip.

My meal was very good, and it was quite filling.  I ate slowly and enjoyed it. The veggies could have been cooked longer. (The carrots were still crunchy!)  But I ate all the veggies.

I left feeling full and satisfied, but not overstuffed.  I did not feel deprived. :)

At the movies, we didn't get popcorn, just something to drink. I wasn't going to get anything, but then I realized they had Dasani Sensations (about 5 calories a serving). I tried strawberry.  I could get used to it.

In other news.....Yesterday I finished week 3 of C25K!

And today I am going cold turkey with my Pepsi.  For the past 6 weeks, I've been having one a day most days.  But I think I need to just cut them out completely.  I've decided that, even though I don't "do" Lent---and Lent started 2 days ago---I am going to give up Pepsi until Easter. At that point I'll decide if I can incorporate some into my diet or just do without.

I've already warned my husband I will probably have a bad headache on Saturday or Sunday. But it will pass.


2 comments:

  1. Good for you! It's not always easy to dine out without blowing the calorie/points budget, but it IS possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job! That is a big challenge for me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your support on this journey. Please be nice (to me and to other commenters).