Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Yo! Dessert!

Since I started this healthy lifestyle, I have looked for ways to incorporate better foods. I decided not to try "diet" desserts (ice cream, etc) with lots of unhealthy additives.  But I found something on Pinterest that interested me.  Frozen bananas that taste like ice cream?  I had to try it.

The basic recipe I found at Use Real Butter.

Take old bananas (the more leopard spots the better)
Slice
Freeze
Put them in the food processor and whiz until gravel like
Keep whizzing until it takes on a smooth texture (like soft serve ice cream)
If you want, add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder.
(My version uses a tablespoon of Nutella! Yum!)

(Source of this picture is Use Real Butter).

I've made the "ice cream" at least 3 or 4 times a week since I found this recipe. I've used the food processor and the blender.

A couple of weeks ago my husband brought me two bunches of bananas and a Yonanas machine.  The Yonanas machine makes ice cream like desserts using bananas and other fruit.  You just put the frozen fruit into the chute and push it down with the plunger. It comes out in the bowl below.

Here's a picture from Yonananas:



 The base is similar to a blender, and these parts (below) disassemble for cleaning.

                                                

Here is my favorite creation: a handful of chocolate chips added to the bananas.




When I first got it, every time I used the Yonanas machine, it smelled like it was overheating. John (hubby) thought the pieces were too small, so we tried smaller pieces.  (But the recipe book showed putting in full size frozen bananas.) I tried leaving them on the counter for a few minutes before inserting.  But I was having to use a lot of pressure and every time it smelled like it was burning up. It still tasted good, but I worried about starting a fire or something.

I have to say, the costumer service at Yonanas is incredible!  I sent them a letter and explained the issues I was having.  I received a response very quickly.  Candice (from Yonanas) quickly responded. She told me that my bananas are probably too cold.  She suggested I place them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.  She also told me that if the bananas were the right temperature, it would not be difficult to push them through.  It was perfect!  My banana "ice cream" is wonderful!  



Note: I was not compensated for this post in any way. I (well, the Mr.) bought the Yonanas and the bananas! I just love the product. I would be thrilled to represent them!!




4 comments:

  1. Banana "ice cream" is wonderful and very tasty. Having it doesn't make me miss regular ice cream at all.

    Adding strawberries is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make this sometimes in the food processor or the Vitamix, but I have been known to mash up my banana, put it in the freezer for about an hour and then just stir it up. What can I ay, I'm uncouth. :)

    Glad you found a dessert that you like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really good. I will have to give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your support on this journey. Please be nice (to me and to other commenters).

Donors Choose Update

Since my previous post on Donors Choose , a lot has happened. Shortly after I changed schools in August, I was invited to be a Donors Choose...