Saturday, April 6, 2013

I ran 5K!!


I should have posted this yesterday, but I was still relishing the before and during picture I posted yesterday. I didn't want to detract from it.  Even though I had more exciting news.

Today I'm strutting my stuff!

                                             SixSistersStuff.com

I ran a 5K!! 

Me!  At 275 pounds! I ran a 5K without stopping.  That is 3.1 miles.

After missing my run on Thursday, I was really struggling. I wanted to finish my C25K training. I know I still have a long way to go to move my runs outside and increase my speed.  But I wanted to mark a check next to "complete C25K training".  This is important because I have a tendency to start things, but not finish them.  I'm working on breaking that trend.


Since we got home from Lubbock early in the day, I decided to go for a run.  It was really hard a first.  I wasn't able to run faster than 3.5 MPH. (I have been trying to run at 4.0 for at least one song.) I had a series of goals.  The run was W8D2: Run 2.75 miles or 28 minutes.

  • Make it 28 minutes ("required" run for the W8D2)
  • Do at least 2 miles
  • Do at least 2.25 miles (like last time)
  • Do at least 2.50 miles (to beat last time)
  • Do at least 2.75 miles ("suggested" distance for W8D2)
  • Do at least 3.0 miles (hey! why not?)
  • Fun a 3.1 miles (a full 5K.....If I made it this far....why not?)
Honestly, I almost didn't make it through the 28 minutes.  I did put a print out of my picture (posted yesterday) on the treadmill for inspiration.  I made it to 14 minutes (and the voice in my ear buds said, "You are halfway done") and I dropped my speed to 3.3 MPH.  At the "one more minute" alert, I dropped to 3.1.  Somewhere along mile 2, I dropped to 3.0 where I finished.  I kept running.  I passed each of the markers.  And I kept running.  When I hit 3.35 miles on the treadmill (my warm up was .25 miles) I started walking.  I learned along the way that my treadmill automatically goes to cool down after 60 minutes!  Total time: 68 minutes: 5 minutes warm up + 5 minute cool down + 58 minute run.  What?!?!?!? 58 minute run?  

Yes. I ran for 58 minutes without stopping.  That is 18 minutes longer than my previous best run!  And .84 miles further than my previous best distance!
And I did it in under and hour!

7 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! This is BEYOND awesome!!! I am seriously considering cartwheeling for you! 3.1! You're a 5K-er!!!! Great job, lady!!!!

    Sarah
    www.thinfluenced.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! What an accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Virtual HIGH FIVE - what a huge accomplishment! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! Go Julie!! You are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! Good Job Julie!! Thats great! Don't worry about speed. You will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job. I am at the same weight as you and I am starting the couch to 5k today. I will be doing it outside since I don't have a gym membership and I don't own a treadmill. I signed up for a 5k color run that is set for June 2.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are freaking amazing!!! Keep up the good work, you are definitely my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your support on this journey. Please be nice (to me and to other commenters).

Donors Choose Update

Since my previous post on Donors Choose , a lot has happened. Shortly after I changed schools in August, I was invited to be a Donors Choose...