Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Long overdue update


I recently learned that I am diabetic. I am no longer "insulin resistant" or "pre-diabetic". This has taken some getting used to. I tried to outrun diabetes, but I didn't run fast enough (or soon enough). My sugars are under control, and I am meeting with the diabetes educator on Thursday.

I decided I needed to get started (again) on the path to health. Almost 3 years ago I started the journey, and I lost 60 pounds. I'm proud to say that I have maintained it.

  • Through the cancer diagnosis, hospice, and death of my father-in-law
  • Through 7/10 (almost 8/10) classes in my master's program
  • Through working full-time.
  • Through two office moves and a new supervisor (all at the same job).
  • Through homeschool a middle schooler and a high schooler.
But there are at least 60 more pounds that need to go. Lately, I've had a lot of compliments on my weight loss. People keep saying things like "You've lost a lot of weight!" and "You're losing weight again!"  The scale and the tape measure don't show it. But I am wearing size 18's for the first time in--I have no idea how many years? Maybe 25?


I have been working to kick the Diet Coke habit (again!--hopefully for good this time!). I haven't had a Diet Coke since Thanksgiving (12 days so far). I've been doing well drinking lots of water. I'm adding lemon or orange to the infuser basket in my water bottle. I'm not really missing it (too much).

I also did not eat any sugar from black Friday until yesterday. I had a small slice of Cameron's birthday cheese cake last night, as well as 3 small pieces of divinity over about 12 hours. Normally, I would have had 5 or 6 pieces in one sitting.

The amazing thing (to me) in all of this is that I have had access to sugar during this time. I made a large batch of Rocky Road candy for Thanksgiving (and I ate quite a few on Thanksgiving!) but there was a lot left, and I didn't snack on it. At work, I have a snack drawer with caramels, PopTarts, and other sweet snacks.  And I have a sealed 1 Liter bottle of Diet Coke.

One more update....I got a surgery date today. On December 30th, I will have a stapedectomy in my left ear to replace the fused stapes bone with a spring. I don't know how much hearing I will regain, but it should be significant. If it is successful, I will have another one in 3 months.

1 comment:

  1. Maintaining 60 - that's a great accomplishment in itself! I'm pulling for you in your fight against Diet Coke.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your support on this journey. Please be nice (to me and to other commenters).

Donors Choose Update

Since my previous post on Donors Choose , a lot has happened. Shortly after I changed schools in August, I was invited to be a Donors Choose...