Friday, January 22, 2016

New PR at the Back of the Pack

Two posts in one day?!?!? Well, technically it's after midnight, so not really!

One of my goals for the past year or two is to improve my running speed. Someday, I'd love to run a Disney race. Disney requires a 16 minute mile, and they recommend you train at a 15 minute mile. My very best mile has been between 15 and 16 miles--but I can't keep up that pace for long I generally average between 17 and 19 minutes per mile.

Today I decided to try to vary my speed to see help me improve my time.  Normally, I run between about 3.2 and 3.7 miles per hour. On the treadmill, I have never been able to run over 3.5 MPH for more than about a minute.

That changed tonight! I ran 4.0 for 10 minutes without a break. Then I ran at that speed for 5 minutes--twice!! And a finished with another 8 minutes at 4.0. I ran a total of 3.1 miles (5K). And my final time: 50:39--was 21 seconds faster than my fastest ever time.  It was also about 5 minutes faster than my average 5K.



At times it is a bit intimidating watching runners around me running much faster.  Tonight there was a young man in front of me who, at various times was running at 7.7, 8.1, and 12.0 MPH.  When he stopped--at exactly 3 miles--his total time was 21:54--about 40% of the time it took me to run the same distance.  But I was not discouraged.  

This week I found a new group on Facebook that I love! It's called Back of the Pack. It is for runners (and walkers) who usually finish races in the back third of the pack.  I have found kindred spirits.  People who understand what it is like to finish the race and find out that awards ceremony is already over. (I didn't expect to win for my age, but I thought I might win a door prize!) They encouraged me to enjoy my run and get my money's worth!


Today I got the flier for the Pecos Valley Stampede. I signed up for the 10K last year, but it got snowed out. (I still got the t-shirt).  I think I'm going to try for the 10K this year.  And I'm seriously thinking of training for a half marathon. I found the perfect one.  The Yosemite Half Marathon is on my 47th birthday (October 8th--don't forget!!). I grew up in less than 2 hours from Yosemite, and we haven't been back in so long. I miss the views at Yosemite! I'm not sure I could train well enough to be ready for a half marathon.  And I really don't think I could afford the trip.  But it's fun to dream. Feel free to send donations to my gofundme page.  Just kidding. Unless you really want to sponsor me. Then we'll talk. E-mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your support on this journey. Please be nice (to me and to other commenters).

Donors Choose Update

Since my previous post on Donors Choose , a lot has happened. Shortly after I changed schools in August, I was invited to be a Donors Choose...