Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Running intervals

One of my goals this year is to increase my running speed. I know I will never be a fast runner, and I'm fine with being a "back of the pack" runner. But I would like to run a Disney race someday, and the recommend a training pace of a 15 minute mile.  I would had to finally get to a Disney race and have this happen:
  • Runners unable to maintain the pace may be picked up at any point along the course and transported to the course pick-up tent.
 I've heard the best one to increase speed is to do intervals (alternating fast/slow). So the past week or so I've been experimenting with this. My "comfortable" running pace is about 3.5 MPH (about a 17 minute mile).

So far I have tired:


  • Run 4 MPH for 5 minutes. Recover with a 3.0 MPH walk for 5 minutes. Repeat.
  • Run 4 MPH for 10. Recover for 2 minutes, Run 4MPH for 8 minutes. Recover for 3 minutes. Run 4 MPH for 7 minutes. Recover for 3 minutes. Continue 10 minute cycle (6/4; 5/5, 6/4, etc).
  • Run at 3.5 MPH for 5 minutes. Run at 4.5 MPH for 1 minute. Repeat many times.
  • Start at 3.5 MPH. Add .1 MPH every minute until 4.1 MPH.  Then reduce by .1 MPH every minute. Repeat.


Each option has included a variety of speeds and an assortment of distances.  I'm not sure which one I like best. I guess I'll keep experimenting. I'm planning run a 10K at the end of the month. Hopefully the work will make difference.

This picture gave me a chuckle.  I often hear sirens while I'm running and have to wonder if someone thought I was dying!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your support on this journey. Please be nice (to me and to other commenters).

Donors Choose Update

Since my previous post on Donors Choose , a lot has happened. Shortly after I changed schools in August, I was invited to be a Donors Choose...