Thursday, March 3, 2016

10K--I ran it!

I've been planning to write about my 10, but I've been busy!! My MIL had at total knee replacement just over a week ago. My husband and my 18 year old have been sick since before she came home. My 10 year old has been sick off and on.  We know that none of them have the flu, but they are just not getting better. So I've been doing my best to take care of all of them (while working full time and trying to finish my last two classes for grad school!) 

About the Pecos Valley Stampede....
I ran the whole thing!

I estimated my time would be be about 1:50 or 1:55. My Runkeeper app clocked me at 1 hour, 40 minutes, 45 seconds.



But according to the official race results, I finished in 1:40:27!! (That's about half a minute difference!!)   Also, I thought I was the last 10K racer (there was a 2 mile, a 10K, and a Half Marathon going on), but according to the results, there were 2 behind me. 





The race was a "there-and-back" not a loop. So each set of racer turned around at a different spot. Starting about mile 2, I started encountering returning runners--some 10K and some Half marathon.  The were incredible!  At least a dozen of them waved, high fived, gave me a thumbs up, and/or said something like, "Good job!" or "You've got this!".  These were the ones who initiated the encouragement!  At least that many more responded to my gesture or words.  I truly felt supported and valued!

At the end, someone interviewed me for a story in the newspaper about running! I haven't seen the article yet, but I'll share it when I find it.

I don't mind being last--I know I'm ahead of people who didn't even start.  But I hate missing out on the awards. Not that I expect a placer medal, but I hate missing the door prizes.  The last race I ran, I missed it all.  This time, not only was I there for the medals, I got a door prize!  A pair of tickets to the Jack Ingram (who? still trying to find out about him) at the Spencer Theater.  We've heard great things about this theater, but we've never had the chance to visit.  I guess we'll check out a new (to us) artist next week.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your support on this journey. Please be nice (to me and to other commenters).

Donors Choose Update

Since my previous post on Donors Choose , a lot has happened. Shortly after I changed schools in August, I was invited to be a Donors Choose...