Sunday, September 10, 2017

Grandma?

Some of you have been wondering and were too polite to ask....

John and I became grandparents just like we became parents the first time--with a phone call.  Almost 20 years ago, we got a phone call from a friend that started with, "How would you like a brand new baby boy?"  48 hours later we brought Cameron home from the hospital, and one year later the judge made it official. (If you haven't heard that story, hit me up some time and I'd be happy to tell you!!)

Last month, I got a Facebook message from an old friend. The friendship is old; we aren't! We were neighbors in marriage student housing at Central Bible College almost 30 years ago. Carol asked me to call her. When I did, she explained that their daughter and granddaughter were living in our town and she was looking for a church. Tim and Carol are pastors in a church about 3 hours away. Carol asked to meet up with me when she came to visit the next day. We met and I was able to give their daughter some resources for local community supports, and we arranged to pick them up on Sunday for church. Turns out they lived just around the corner from us. All through the songs, John held Sweet Pea. I got to hold her through the sermon. We invited Mom and Sweet Pea to come with us for lunch. John offered to watch Sweet Pea any time.
The first time John held Sweet Pea, she curled up in a ball just like Heather did. 

Cameron not only held Sweet Pea, but allowed me to take a picture. He holds her and feeds her, but he won't change diapers!


After they left, John looked and me and said, "Now I know how my parents felt waiting so long to be grandparents."  Then he kept waiting for Mom to call to ask him to babysit.  Soon, John became Sweet Pea's  regular babysitter. 


Cuddle time after a long day of work!

Happy baby!

After a few times of watching Sweet Pea, John started calling himself "Papaw" when talking to her.  He checked with Mom to see if she minded us calling ourselves grandparents.  She didn't.  We didn't think Tim and Carol would mind, and last week we got the green light from them. We figure every little girl needs lots of people who love her. And since her grandparents live so far away, we are thrilled to have the opportunity to love on her in their stead. 

Papaw and Sweet Pea have lots of conversations!

Papaw continues to hold Sweet Pea during worship, and I get her during the sermon. Today, she decided she wanted to look around.  But she fell asleep before Papaw handed her off.  Heather enjoys having Sweet Pea around, but she likes to make sure she is still Daddy's baby girl. 
Sweet Pea is holding Papaw's hand.
Heather likes to cuddle with Daddy while he holds Sweet Pea.
And with Momma!
Auntie likes to hold Sweet Pea, but only while she sleeps. 

I'm still not sure what to call myself. I've tried Mamaw, Grandma, Meme.  I'm not sure which one we'll settle on. 



2 comments:

  1. Nana ia easy to learn until they are ready for something "harder"--some of my biggies still call me Nana....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nana Julie? Nana Jewel?

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your support on this journey. Please be nice (to me and to other commenters).

Donors Choose Update

Since my previous post on Donors Choose , a lot has happened. Shortly after I changed schools in August, I was invited to be a Donors Choose...