Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Successful trip! New Toys!

I mentioned the other day that I was nervous about this trip out of town with my team from work because of the food and lack of opportunity to exercise.  I just got home, and I count it a success!

I did not get a chance to exercise (other than shopping!). But, I did a good job with my food choices.  I researched each restaurant ahead of time, when I could. And used my iPhone and Google at the table, if  I needed to.  I had plenty to eat, and I came in just under calories last night. I still have 600 calories  left for tonight (not sure I'll eat all of them for a snack).

Lunch was not too bad---a couple of tacos (Taco Tuesday!) at Golden Pride at 160 calories each.  The snacks at the training were mostly healthy.  I avoided that candy, but I had some trail mix and chocolate covered pomegranates. They hosts left all of the bags out next to the serving dishes, so I was able to get a good idea of calories.

For dinner, we went to Outback Steakhouse.  I decided ahead of time to try to the Salmon with grilled veggies. (It was marked as "under 600 calories") on the menu.  I did have about half a loaf of bread, but I had planned enough calories for that. I didn't eat any of the appetizers people offered me (fried mushrooms and Awesome Blossom), but I don't like onions or mushrooms.  Before bed, I ate some of the snacks I brought with me.

Breakfast at Weck's--the one I was really worried about---went very well. I studied the menu and nutrition page, and decided to go ala carte. (The plates started at 800 calories and went up to 2500 calories!) I ordered ham, 2 eggs, cottage cheese, and mixed fruit.  It totaled 600 calories.  But, I was so full, I didn't finish the fruit, and I barely touched the cottage cheese. So I logged it at 500 calories.

For dinner, I grabbed a couple of fajita tacos at Taco Cabana (about 200 calories each). Since we had a late breakfast/lunch, I had plenty of calories left, so I shared an order of sopapillas with my car-mates. (About 60 calories each. I ate 3).

Overall, not bad at all!

Several times over the trip my co-workers told me how proud they were of me and my choices. :)

On to the new toys!

Because our trip was postponed a day (roads closed due to blizzard conditions), we were in town when our tax return hit the bank.  I went to Fleet Feet and got measured for walking/running shoes.  Joey watched me walk and noticed that I tend to lean in (not sure the term).  He selected 3 pairs of shoes for me to try.  I picked a pair of Brooks.  I also got full inserts to help with the plantar fascitis. At the side of the store, they have a rubber running track, so I ran up and back. (So I got a little bit of exercise!!)  Joey said he could see a difference in my gait. Now I'm ready to run!

My next stop was the Apple store where my husband had already pre-ordered a pair of FitBit Ones. I'm still trying to figure it all out, but I am excited to see how it will help me reach my goals.


3 comments:

  1. Not to sound smug, but I had NO DOUBT that you'd handle the trip well! :)

    I buy all my workout shoes at Fleet Feet. Besides helping to ensure a good fit, they're awesome with post-purchase customer service. Even if you wear the shoes for a few weeks, if they don't feel great, FF will exchange them. I've only had that happen once, but it was such a relief to know that I wouldn't be out the $$$.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you making the right choices and stuff. Doesn't it feel great to be in control. I bet ya it does. Now onto your next goal with your new shoes.....best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choices. I can't wait to hear how you like the fit bit. I want the fit bit flex that is coming out this spring.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your support on this journey. Please be nice (to me and to other commenters).

Donors Choose Update

Since my previous post on Donors Choose , a lot has happened. Shortly after I changed schools in August, I was invited to be a Donors Choose...