Thursday, March 8, 2018

Brave

The theme for the Ladies Tea at church this year is Brave.  I had not really thought about the theme while decorating my table, but as I was leaving, I realized I had nailed it. My table represents my brave. I decorated it with a theme of Yosemite National Park--the location of  my Half Marathon.

Five years ago, when I first began the Couch to 5K program, I struggled to run for 60 seconds, and now I am preparing to run for 13.1 miles! I once weighed 306 pounds, and now I am under 170--smaller  than when I was in high school more than 30 years ago. At 48 years old, I am stronger and faster that I have ever been.

This journey to become Half a Julie has required one brave step after another. I am anxious to take those steps in beautiful land I visited often while growing up.

For my table, I tried to capture the large granite formations and the beautiful waterfalls of Yosemite.


I started with chicken wire and added paper mache. I covered it with gesso, and then painted it gray. I added some contrasting metallic gray accents.



For the water, I painted a piece of wax paper various colors of blue and white. I added some moss here and there.


For my tablescape. I added some "boulders" to the top and bottom of the waterfall. I added printed pictures of various scenes from Yosemite (including the one at the top of the post.)



Each of my guests will receive a limited edition, hand painted rock with either waterfall or Half Dome.


Want to join the Half a Julie Road Crew and help me get to Yosemite? You can join my Facebook Fundraiser or send through Paypal to halfajulie@outlook.com.


What is YOUR brave? 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your support on this journey. Please be nice (to me and to other commenters).

Donors Choose Update

Since my previous post on Donors Choose , a lot has happened. Shortly after I changed schools in August, I was invited to be a Donors Choose...